Instant Pot Squash and Rice Casserole
- 1 c onions 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 1 bell peppers red, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms about 8 white, quartered (optional)
- 1 butternut squash small, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 zucchini large, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 0.50 tsp sea salt
- 0.50 tsp ground black pepper
- 1.25 c brown rice
- 29 oz diced tomatoes 2 - 14.5 oz cans (with liquids)
- 2.5 c vegetable broth
- Set the Instant Pot to "SAUTE" and add olive oil.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, and red pepper. Saute for approximately 5 minutes or until vegetables are slightly soft, stirring constantly.
- Add the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper and heat for an additional 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add mushrooms, if desired, and stir for 1 minute.
- Add rice and stir to completely combine.
- Add the tomatoes and vegetable stock for a sticky rice. (If you prefer your rice NOT to be sticky use one cup rice to 1 ¼ cups of liquid. Take into account liquid in the can of tomatoes.)
- Transfer rice mixture into a crock, corning ware or metal bowl—any bowl that will fit the Instant Pot with a lid or that can be covered with aluminum foil.
- Stir in the cubed squash and zucchini to the rice mixture.
- Put about an inch and a half of water in the bottom of Instant Pot. Place trivet in Instant Pot. Place the bowl with rice mixture on trivet. Cover bowl with a lid or tightly with aluminum foil.
- Lock lid into place and close steam valve. Select "MANUAL" and set cook time for 22 minutes. When cook time is done, let rest for 10 minutes before releasing any remaining steam.
- Open lid and carefully remove bowl. Stir to combine.
- Serve as a main dish or as a side dish.
Calories: 468kcal | Carbohydrates: 90g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 955mg | Potassium: 1784mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 26700IU | Vitamin C: 112.3mg | Calcium: 216mg | Iron: 5.5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!