Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- 4 sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 c onions 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 5 c red lentils prepared
- 30 oz diced tomatoes 2 - 15 ounces cans, undrained
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 c frozen spinach chopped, squeezed dry
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari
- 2 tbsp full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- .5 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil sweet potatoes for at least 15–20 minutes, or until soft enough to puree.
- Add carrots, onions, and celery to a large skillet over medium heat with a tablespoon of butter and allow them to soften.
- Once the vegetables are softened, add the prepared lentils to the pan. Allow these to cook for several minutes with the other vegetables.
- Add diced tomatoes with juices along with basil, spinach, and coconut aminos or tamari. Let this simmer for 10–15 minutes so the flavors to mingle.
- When the sweet potatoes are soft all the way through, remove them from the heat and drain the water. Mash with a little salt and coconut milk until the consistency is perfect.
- Add the lentil filling to a 9 x 13 pan and top with a layer of sweet potatoes. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until the topping becomes slightly browned. Allow to cool before serving.
Calories: 1035kcal | Carbohydrates: 180g | Protein: 65g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 1284mg | Potassium: 3382mg | Fiber: 78g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 28625IU | Vitamin C: 40.5mg | Calcium: 320mg | Iron: 21.5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!